Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Birthday Boy

Ryan's birthday is almost here! My hubs is turning 24! I am super excited for so many reasons for his birthday that I could just scream! The biggest thing is that he hasn't celebrated a birthday since he first joined the Marine Corps. He says it's been more than 5 years since he's celebrated and that is just unacceptable! Three years ago, his birthday landed during his first deployment to Afghanistan. Two years ago, his birthday landed during a rainy, month long deployment training in AP Hill. Last year, his birthday landed during his second deployment to Afghanistan where he stood post for 18 hours and didn't realize it was his birthday until it was almost over. Although I sent him an awesome birthday package, it still doesn't count as celebrating. All of that is changing this year! If you know Ryan, you know that he is a super simple guy who isn't too fond of being surprised with say, a huge party or something along those lines. He doesn't expect some grand celebration or extravagant gift. He's just a really simple, down to earth type guy. So, let me go back a ways to help you understand my birthday planning ideas. Ever since I've known him, Ryan has talked about how badly he's wanted to go skydiving. Since he came home from his second deployment, he's begged me to go with him countless times all of which I've firmly said NO! Yeahhh right! Me go skydiving? I don't think so. At least not until I try a few other things to help me work up the courage, like for example, riding roller coasters, hang gliding, etc. So, with his birthday coming up I've been wondering what to get a guy who doesn't need or want anything, really. I mean, I thought of a few thoughtful gifts, but I wanted something to make this birthday really memorable for him. And the thought came to my mind : SKYDIVING! I found a place here in Arizona that offers skydiving over one of the most beautiful spots in the state and I booked a date and was super excited! I was planning on just driving him up there the day of, and surprising him by saying "You're going skydiving!" I know that completely contradicts everything I said about what Ryan likes... Something simple, no surprises... but this was different and I knew he'd love it. Well, if you know me, you know I'm horrible at keeping surprises and I ended up spilling the beans and telling him what I had planned. He was so excited he couldn't quit smiling. I guess when I told him I should have said YOU are going skydiving, not, WE are going skydiving because he immediately said "You're going too!?!" Oh.. Nope, not me. Well, after talking about it, he told me how important it was that we do something together for his birthday and that his first time skydiving, he wanted me to be there with him, jumping out right after him. And even though I told him how exciting it would be for me to see him float down to the ground, we decided that someday, probably later than sooner, we would sky dive together. So, that left me to decide a new birthday plan. Poo. I went to work on it though and came up with something just as enjoyable, but nothing near as extreme. Something simple, just the way he'll like it. There is a place about 45 minutes away called "Out of Africa" and it's a wildlife refuge type place where you can interact with and see all kinds of different animals and watch some really neat shows they put on. You go on a Safari that tours the place and everything. It takes awhile to see and do everything, so by the time we're ready to leave, we'll be hungry enough to enjoy a dinner in beautiful, sunny, Sedona; one of the most talked about and beautiful places I've ever been to. They have such amazing food and beautiful views. It's going to be the most perfect end to a wonderful day. I am super excited and the best part is, Ryan wanted me to keep this one a surprise and I've done a good job and not giving any hints! So, that's what we'll be doing this coming Saturday. His birthday isn't until next Wednesday though, which I also have something planned for! We've been craving chinese food since we moved to Arizona, but there aren't many restaurants near by that serve it, so for his birthday, we're going to a Chinese food place with our family. Afterwards, we'll come home and have the homemade cake I'm going to bake. I'm going to bake a white cake with homemade cream cheese frosting, and raspberry filling with raspberries on top! Perrrrfect! Raspberries are his favorite so let's hope it turns out super delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment